All Habs Headlines: Monday February 19, 2018
|On this day in hockey history…
1910 — Playing for a local senior team in Chicoutimi, Quebec, Georges Vezina made more than 60 saves to help his team to a 1-0 win over the Montreal Canadiens. A short time later, Vezina became the Canadiens’ goalie for the next 15 years.
1945 — Montreal’s Maurice Richard tied an NHL record with his 44th goal of the season, in a 4-3 win at Toronto. Richard’s 44th of the year tied him with Joe Malone, who had 44 goals in 1917-18.
|Stay informed with All Habs Headlines, everything you need to know in one convenient location. Got a tip? Send us an email: email@example.com or tweet us: @AllHabs !|
► Need to know
- Canadiens forward Nikita Scherbak was assigned to the Laval Rocket. Claude Julien said, “I’m sure we’ll see Scherbak again. He’s the only one who could be sent down without going through waivers.”
- The Montreal Canadiens will next be in action on Tuesday in Philadelphia when they take on the Flyers.
- The Canadiens played in Las Vegas for the first time ever on Saturday night. Check out the historic game report here : RECAP | Canadiens – Golden Knights: Habs Falling Further Back
- The Laval Rocket hosted the Toronto Marlies on Saturday night. The full game report including post-game audio is here: RECAP | Marlies – Rocket: Third Period Collapse Sullies Laval’s Efforts
► Lines, defense pairings at practice – February 19th
- The Canadiens practiced in Philadelphia on Monday morning at University of Pennsylvania.
Pacioretty – Drouin – Lehkonen
Byron – Plekanec – Gallagher
Galchenyuk – Danault – Hudon
Deslauriers – L. Shaw – Carr
De La Rose – Froese – A. Shaw
Alzner – Petry
Morrow – Benn
Mete – Schlemko
► Injury update
- Ales Hemsky – concussion (indefinite)
- Shea Weber – lower-body injury, skating
- Phillip Danault – concussion (indefinite). Hasn’t yet received medical clearance. May be in the lineup on Tuesday against the Flyers.
- Andrew Shaw – poised to return but will not play on Tuesday.
► Did you see this?
- Nikita Scherbak scored a beauty on Saturday in Las Vegas using his skill to best Marc-Andre Fleury. It was Scherbak’s first goal of the season.
► Fourth line help
- The Canadiens have signed forward Nicolas Deslauriers to a two-year, one-way contract extension.
► Evans adds honors
- Jake Evans has been named one of ten NCAA men’s hockey student-athletes who excel both on and off the ice were selected as finalists today for the 2017-18 Senior CLASS Award in collegiate hockey.
► Canadiens values
- Max Pacioretty and the Canadiens provide a simple gesture that fulfills the wish of a young child facing adversity.
Max, 10, was diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2013 and as a result he's faced serious health challenges over the past 5 years. We were thrilled to grant his wish to meet @CanadiensMTL captain #MaxPacioretty! Thanks to Pacioretty and the entire team for welcoming wish kid Max! pic.twitter.com/bc8q9kUHTJ
— Make-A-Wish TCO (@MakeAWishTCO) February 13, 2018
► Lindgren extension
- Charlie Lindgren has earned himself a new one-way deal for three years worth $750,000 AAV.
- The extension signals that there is a good possibility that Lindgren will be Carey Price‘s backup next season.
► Free agent Carr
- Daniel Carr is slated to become a Group 6 unrestricted free agent as he has not played enough games in the NHL by age 25. This can become an issue when planning for his possible return as a bottom six winger next season.
These are this years prospective free agents that will become UFA Group 6 because they have not met the required NHL games played at the age of 25 or older. Players displayed in bold can still meet the games played requirements to remain an RFA. pic.twitter.com/7uym35TsjF
— CapFriendly (@CapFriendly) February 16, 2018
► Happy Chinese New Year!
- The Canadiens took the time to wish all a Happy Chinese New Year.
— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) February 16, 2018
|New at All Habs Hockey Magazine|
|In case you missed it! Catch up on recently-published stimulating, original content.|
|[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”3″ thisfeed=”8″ showdate=”0″]|
Follow @AllHabs on Twitter