All Habs Headlines: Friday November 17, 2017
|On this day in hockey history…
1990— Steve Yzerman (Detroit Red Wings) recorded hat trick in the first 12 minutes of the game between Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at times 2:21, 10:53 and 11:59.
1979 — One era ends and another begins when two of hockey’s greatest players, Wayne Gretzky and Gordie Howe face each other for the first time in their NHL careers during the Hartford Whalers’ 4-0 win against the Edmonton Oilers at the Hartford Civic Center.
|Stay informed with All Habs Headlines, everything you need to know in one convenient location. Got a tip? Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us: @AllHabs !|
► Lines at practice
Mitchell- Danault – Shaw
Galchenyuk – De La Rose – Byron
Hudon – Plekanec – Gallagher
Deslauriers – Froese
Mete – Weber
Alzner – Petry
Morrow – Davidson
- Nikita Scherbak is recovering following knee surgery
- Carey Price is day-to-day with a lower-body injury
- Ales Hemsky has concussion symptoms
- Al Montoya has concussion symptoms
- Artturi Lehkonen is out indefinitely with a lower-body injury
- David Schlemko has a hand injury
- Max Pacioretty, Jonathan Drouin, Jordie Benn are suffering with flu-like symptoms
► Everyone is a comedian
- Much has been made of Andrew Shaw’s play on the ice. But what is missed sometimes are the intangibles players bring. In this case, Shaw is able to lighten the mood with his humor and antics.
- “There’s always great guys in the dressing room. Shawsy’s one of those guys that loves to chat and have a good time. It’s obviously one of those bets that they had on the ice. We had Steve Ott here last year that really sparked our dressing room a lot, too. You have players like that that are not just important on the ice, but are also important off the ice and in the dressing room. It’s good to have a lively room and sometimes those are the kind of guys that keep it alive in there.” — Claude Julien
► Another man down
- Arturri Lehkonen has been put on the shelf. The Canadiens have said only that it is a lower body injury and that he is out indefinitely.
► The Price comes due
Canadiens owner Geoff Molson is confident in the imminent return of star goaltender Carey Price. Hopefully for Habs fans he is correct.
- “I think he’s doing better and better and his lower-body injury is healing. I ran into him Saturday night. He was in a good mood, and I don’t think he’s far off from returning to play.” – Geoff Molson
► Fleury has it down Pat
Habs prospect and former Kootenay Ice captain Cale Fleury has been traded to the Regina Pats.
The 2017 third round selection scored six goals, four assists for 10 points in 17 games. He joins a Regina squad that is expected to compete for the WHL title this season and will host the Memorial Cup.
► Fresh blood team values
The Canadiens hosted a blood drive for Hema-Quebec as part of their community outreach program. The drive was founded in 1981 by the legendary Jean Beliveau and late Forum announcer Claude Mouton.
After taking part in practice, players from the Habs and Les Canadiennes all arrived and donated their blood and time for all those in attendance.
► Mike Danton returns to hockey
- Mike Danton, a former player with St-Louis Blues, 2000 OHL Champion Barrie Colt and 2009/10 CIS champion with the St-Mary’s Huskies best known for a murder for hire plot that led him to spend several years in a US Federal prison.
- Danton has retired from competitive hockey, this time on his own terms. He spent last season with Riviere du Loup of the NAHL.
- He’s returned to Nova Scotia to become head coach of the Valley Wildcats of the Maritime Junior A Hockey League.
— Mike Danton (@Mike_Danton) November 15, 2017
► Niemi joins yet another team
- Antti Niemi joins his third NHL team after the Canadiens acquired him via the waiver wire.
- He adds experience and insurance as the Charlie Lindgren / Zach Fucale duo had at the time of his arrival, a grand total of seven NHL games played between the two, all of those games belonging to Lindgren.
With Montoya out indefinitely. Price out a couple more weeks and Fucale needing to play adding Niemi at his 700K is a perfect fit as an experienced backup @RocketSports @PlanetHabs @TheAHLReport #Habs #GoHabsGo https://t.co/syhiTW6ZKw
— Blain Potvin (@Potsy_70) November 14, 2017
► Schuldt they do it?
- Jimmy Schuldt of NCAA St-Cloud State University has been garnering attention of NHL GMs, including that of the Montreal Canadiens.
- Matt Smith of All Habs Hockey Magazine goes into more details here.
► Deslauriers’ Dream come true
- Nicolas Deslauriers recieves the call he’s been waiting for since he was acquired by the Canadiens in a trade for Zack Redmond.
- Deslauriers dressed vs the Arizona Coyotes where he played 6:01 minutes had a fighting major and was an even player and three hits playing on the fourth line.
"If I get my shot with the Canadiens, it's going to be hard to take that jersey off. I'm going to do everything I can to keep it on." -Nicolas Deslauriers
— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) November 16, 2017
|New at All Habs Hockey Magazine|
|In case you missed it! Catch up on recently-published stimulating, original content.|
|[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”3″ thisfeed=”8″ showdate=”0″]|
Follow @AllHabs on Twitter