All Habs Headlines: Saturday June 27, 2015
|On this day in hockey history… 1972 — Bobby Hull signed with the Winnipeg Jets of the WHA, in Minneapolis, Minnesota for $250,000 a year for 10 years. 2002 — The Canadiens hired Guy Charron as an assistant head coach. 2003 — Pat Quinn stepped down as Toronto Maple Leafs G.M., but remained on as head coach. 2004 — Los Angeles Kings acquired defenseman Stephane Quintal from the Montreal Canadiens, in exchange for future considerations.|
|Stay informed with All Habs Headlines, everything you need to know in one convenient location. Got a tip? Send us an email: email@example.com or tweet us: @All_Habs !|
► 2015 NHL Entry Draft
- The first round of the 2015 NHL Entry Draft is over with Connor McDavid going first overall to the Edmonton Oilers.
- The Canadiens drafted defenceman Noah Juulsen with the 26th pick. The 6-foot-2 offensive defenceman played for the Everett Silvertips with Habs prospect Nikita Scherbak last season. Learn more with our instant analysis on Juulsen here.
- The full first round pick-by-pick can be found in our NHL Draft Tracker. It is also a good resource for all of the Canadiens draft picks throughout the remaining rounds of the Draft on Saturday.
► Habs change jerseys
- Canadiens first round pick Noah Juulsen donned a new version of the Canadiens jersey on Friday night. Montreal has added laces to their home and away jerseys for next season. The last time the Canadiens had laces on their jersey was in 1974-75.
- They have also changed “NHL” to “LNH” on their home jerseys.
► Ducks make coaching moves
- The Anaheim Ducks have made a pair of moves to bring in a couple of former head coaches of Canadian teams. Paul MacLean and Dallas Eakins are now members of the Ducks organization. According to Bob McKenzie, the former Jack Adams award winner is now an assistant coach with the organization.
- MacLean was fired 27 games into this season after an 11-11-5 start. MacLean was an assistant coach for nine seasons, one for Phoenix, two for the Ducks and six for the Detroit Red Wings.
- Dallas Eakins will become the head coach of the Ducks’ AHL team, the San Diego Gulls. The 48-year old was also fired a couple games into the season after a 7-19-5 start with the Edmonton Oilers. Eakins has spent five seasons as head coach of the AHL’s Toronto Marlies and was thought to be the future of coaching in the NHL when he was hired by the Oilers but was cursed with a subpar roster in Edmonton.
► Reilly to sign with Wild
- It has been reported that unrestricted free agent Mike Reilly will sign with the Minnesota Wild. The 6-foot-1 defenceman played one season with Shattuck St. Mary’s a highly regarded school where he had 48 points in 54 games.
- Reilly later had 83 points in 51 games with the Penticton Vees of the BCHL and followed that up with 33 points in 41 games with the University of Minnesota. He ended his collegiate career a monster 42 point in 38 game season.
- The Chanhassen, Minnesota native was selected 98th overall by the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2011 but chose not to sign with the Jackets and became an unrestricted free agent.
- Reportedly, the Canadiens were one of the teams interested in the 21-year-old defenceman.
- Reilly will sign a two-year, $1.85 million contract next Wednesday say sources.
|New at All Habs Hockey Magazine|
|In case you missed it! Catch up on recently-published stimulating, original content.|
|[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”3″ thisfeed=”8″ showdate=”0″]|
Follow @All_Habs on Twitter