All Habs Headlines: Wednesday September 20, 2017
|On this day in hockey history… 1951 – in Thurso, QC, Hall of Famer Guy Lafleur was born…1991 – Montreal Canadiens traded Stephane Richer and Tom Chorske to New Jersey in exchange for Kirk Muller and goalie Roland Melanson.|
|Stay informed with All Habs Headlines, everything you need to know in one convenient location. Got a tip? Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us: @AllHabs !|
► Notes from Canadiens Training Camp
On Wednesday morning the Montreal Canadiens participated in a morning skate ahead of their pre-season game against the Washington Capitals. The line combinations and defense pairings were as follows:
Pacioretty – Drouin – Hemsky
Hudon – Plekanec – Lehkonen
Martinsen – Froese – Scherbak
Carr – Holland – Eisenschmid
Streit – Weber
Benn – Davidson
Mete – Jerabek
► Jonathan Drouin pledges to raise money for CHUM
- On Tuesday, newly-acquired Canadiens forward Jonathan Drouin was named an ambassador of the Fondation du Centre hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal (CHUM).
- In turn, Drouin made a commitment to donate $500,000 to the hospital over the next 10 years. He also pledged to help raise $5 million for CHUM.
- At a new conference, Drouin said, “When you enter a hospital and see children attached to machines, you feel privileged to play hockey.”
- Drouin signed a six-year contract worth $33 million US in June after being traded from the Tampa Bay Lightning.
— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) September 19, 2017
► Terry on the shelf
- Add Chris Terry‘s name to the injured list. He joins David Schlemko, who are both are day to day. Jeremiah Addison is out for several months with a shoulder injury that requires surgery.
Medical update: Chris Terry not practicing today – injured (torso – day-to-day).
— Canadiens Montréal (@CanadiensMTL) September 18, 2017
► What’s behind door number 3?
- The roster shuffle has started with coach Claude Julien trimming Teams A and B to create a Team C.
- Judging by the names on the list they are could be earmarked for cuts from main camp in the near future. Some players may be hoping to wind up at the Laval Rocket training camp that will open at the end of September.
— Blain Potvin (@Potsy_70) September 19, 2017
► Espo: Drouin under pressure to produce
- Phil Esposito thinks that Canadiens forward Jonathan Drouin will be much happier in Montreal since being traded from the Tampa Bay Lightning, the team founded by the member of the Hockey Hall-of-Fame.
- Esposito told Lightning fans at Amalie Arena, “Drouin is a fabulous player. Personally I didn’t think he wanted to be here. I saw it in his eyes, the way he played. I thought (GM Steve Yzerman) made the right move. (Drouin) is going to love being in Montreal, that’s where he’s from. But he has no idea the pressure that’s going to be on him if he doesn’t produce. He has no idea.”
- Esposito added that Bolts fans should be happy with the trade, saying “I think in the long run, people will be very, very pleased with (Mikhail) Sergachev.”
► Celebrating at the rink
- One of the greatest hockey minds in history, William Scott Bowman, celebrated his 84th birthday on September 18th. Happy birthday Scotty!
— Dave Stubbs (@Dave_Stubbs) September 18, 2017
► Getting his bell rung
- In a candid interview with Sportsnet Canadiens forward Andrew Shaw described his battle with concussion symptoms during Montreal’s playoff series with the New York Rangers last spring.
- Shaw described the physical and mental issues that he struggled to come to grips with and that he concealed from the Canadiens medical staff. Shaw said, “You go in, you lie to the doctors, you tell them what you need to say to get back out there.”
- There is a warriors mentality that is part of the culture of hockey, which is in some ways, comparable to what can be experienced by members of the military. Enduring the pain to be with their mates is part of a “code” but it is something that can cause serious health issues in time.
► The never-ending story
- As of writing, Matt Duchene is still a member of the Colorado Avalanche. Well, at least he is going through the motions.
- Duchene has become a master at saying nothing in camp. Speaking to BSN Denver, the Avs forward said, “I’m taking things one day at a time,” and “Not looking that far into the future. Less is more for me right now.”
- For his part, Joe Sakic, general manager of the Avalanche, has never really acknowledged that Duchene is on the trade block.
► Lets make a deal
- On Sunday, Arizona Coyotes acquired defenceman Jason Demers from the Florida for forward Jamie McGinn.
- As reported by Elliotte Friedman, Florida will retain 12.5 per cent of Demers’ salary. Demers is in the second year of a five-year deal, worth $22.5 million.
- On paper, this may seem to be an odd deal. Florida traded a top-four, puck-moving defenceman who recorded 28 points last season.
- In exchange, Florida acquired McGinn, who, at best, is a 20-point, third line energy winger.
- Florida general manager Dale Tallon appears to be clearing cap space. Tallon has now traded Demers ($4.5 M AAV until 2021) and Reilly Smith ($5 M AAV until 2022), deals negotiated by his predecessor, Tom Rowe.
|New at All Habs Hockey Magazine|
|In case you missed it! Catch up on recently-published stimulating, original content.|
|[wp_rss_multi_importer category=”3″ thisfeed=”8″ showdate=”0″]|