OWEN SOUND, ON. — As we approach the Thanksgiving weekend in Canada it’s natural for each of us to acknowledge things that make life good. Other than the season finally being once again upon us, Habs fans have many aspects of the organization to be thankful for this year. Whether it was he re-signing of Alex Galchenyuk and Jeff Petry during the off season or the naming of a captain; let’s break down some things for which fans are grateful.
In no particular order:
- Marc Bergevin – Throughout his reign as general manager, he has rarely given fans a reason to second guess him. Even when he has made decisions that didn’t pan out, he corrected them. Over the off season, he made some additions as well as made room for them. Some notable additions being Alexander Semin and Tomas Fleischmann. Bergevin has also made it very clear as to how serious he is about his players having character when we saw how unimpressed he was with Zack Kassian in response to his recent accident.
- Having a captain – That being said, having someone wear the “C” who was undeserving would not be a good thing, but having a guy like Max Pacioretty named captain is great. Pacioretty has proved himself to be a great leader both in the way he plays and the way he acts. Fans have not only him on their team to be thankful for but that the team is full of leaders.
- Carey Price – Those who falsely claimed that he looked a little off in the pre-season were silenced after the first regular season game. Not only is he the best player in the world, he’s a true leader and, as demonstrated in Elliotte Friedman’s piece for Sportsnet, a guy who cares about his community.
- Winning the season opener – It being against the Leafs on the road made the victory that much sweeter.
Plus a few additions from readers:
- Nick Lariviere is thankful that Alex Galchenyuk finally gets to start the season at centre.
- Hou Ji Yao explains what he is thankful for, “the new goalie tandem and the fact that the same core group of guys is still there but have matured substantially.”
We at All Habs Hockey Magazine, wish you and your families all a Happy Thanksgiving!
We would love to hear what you are grateful for at this time of year. Tell us in the comments section below!