All Habs GameDay: Sunday January 27, 2013
On this day in hockey history… 1963 – Montreal won 3-1 in Chicago in a game where Canadiens goalie Jacques Plante took time out to measure the height of the Chicago goalposts. He discovered that they measured only 3’10″ instead of the regulation 4′.
GAMEDAY: The first real test for the Canadiens.
| New Jersey Devils
|vs.|| Montreal Canadiens
| Bell Centre, Montreal, QC.
6:00 p.m. EST
Projected line combinations (updated – no game day skate for Habs today)
Lars Eller - David Desharnais - Erik Cole
Rene Bourque - Tomas Plekanec – Brian Gionta
Brandon Prust - Alex Galchenyuk - Brendan Gallagher
Travis Moen - Ryan White – Colby Armstrong
Andrei Markov – Alexei Emelin
Josh Georges - Raphael Diaz
Francis Bouillon - Yannick Weber
Tomas Kaberle, Mike Blunden, Petteri Nokelainen (back), Max Pacioretty (appendectomy)
NEW JERSEY DEVILS
Stefan Matteau - Travis Zajac - Ilya Kovalchuk
Dainius Zubrus - Patrik Elias - David Clarkson
Ryan Carter - Stephen Gionta - Steve Bernier
Mattias Tedenby - Jacob Josefson - Cam Janssen
Bryce Salvador - Anton Volchenkov
Henrik Tallinder - Marek Zidlicky
Andy Greene - Mark Fayne
Adam Henrique (left thumb)
|Martin Brodeur (Confirmed)|| vs.
||Carey Price (Confirmed)|
|Martin Brodeur has given up 3 goals on 71 shots this season and only one goal at even strength.||Carey Price has given up 4 goals on 85 shots this season and only one goal at even strength.
GAMEDAY: All Habs Headlines
► Respect for the opponent:
- Michel Therrien spoke very highly of the New Jersey Devils organization this Saturday. “They’re an organization that I have a lot respect for. Year after year they’re a team that’s always competitive. When you talk about the idea of a ‘team system and concept’ and players needing to accept playing within that system, it’s easy to see that the Devils are among the best at it.”
► Goaltending duel:
Both Montreal Canadiens’ goaltender Carey Price and New Jersey Devils’ goaltender Martin Brodeur are off to stellar starts this season.
- Brodeur has won all three of his starts, has one shutout, a Goals Against Average (GAA) under one goal per game (0.98) and a Save Percentage (Sv%) of .958 per cent.
- Price has two wins and a loss to his record, a GAA of 1.34 and a Sv% of .953 per cent.
- Both goaltenders have only given up one goal at even strength this season.
► Eller returns to the lineup, Pacioretty out, GTD for Kaberle:
- Michel Therrien confirmed that Lars Eller would be back in the lineup against the Devils on Sunday. “I decided yesterday that Lars is going to get back into the lineup,” said Therrien. “We have to have healthy competition in our team, and he’s a young man who’s part of this group and who we care about and who we want to be better, so he’ll be playing tomorrow and will be able to keep on improving. He’s got a great attitude and he knows what we expect of him.”
- Max Pacioretty will be out three to four weeks after undergoing an emergency appendectomy.
- Tomas Kaberle is a game-time decision depending on the extent of his injury — he received a puck to the face during Saturday’s practise. Yannick Weber is waiting in the wings and could be inserted into the lineup for his first game of the season. UPDATE: Weber is in, Kaberle is out. Despite taking the puck to the face, Kaberle was available to play but a coach’s decision will keep him out of the lineup.
► Scoring Leaders:
Ilya Kovalchuk: 2G, 2A
Patrik Elias: 1G, 2A
Marek Zidlicky: 0G, 3A
David Clarkson: 2G, 1A
Travis Zajac: 2G
Raphael Diaz: 5A
Andrei Markov: 3G, 1A
Max Pacioretty: 4A
Brian Gionta: 2G, 1A
Tomas Plekanec: 2G, 1A
► Subban update:
- Both parties remain far apart. Subban has reportedly decided to take the weekend to contemplate the situation.
► Game Preview:
- For matchup keys and fantasy impact see our Devils – Canadiens game preview.
► Puck’s take:
- Need to know who will win tonight? Click the link to watch Puck the Bunny’s prediction.
► Habs Tickets:
- With games against the Winnipeg Jets, Ottawa Senators and Buffalo Sabres upcoming, click the link to find the best selection of Montreal Canadiens tickets.
► New at All Habs Hockey Magazine and Hockey Pub:
- Habs Weekly Forecast: Diaz, Gionta, Plekanec, Markov, Price
- Game Preview: Devils vs Canadiens – Keys, Stats, Fantasy, Prediction
- Diaz, Markov et l’avantage numérique
- Where Are They Now? Habs 2006 First Rounder David Fischer
- Capitals vs Canadiens: The Forgotten Men
- 24 CH : Les coulisses du Centre Bell
- Is Trading P.K. Subban an Option?
- All Habs Mailbag: Eller, Collberg, Habs Depth, Overseas, Desharnais
- Scott Gomez se trouve du boulot
- La renaissance de Rene Bourque?
- Panthers vs Canadiens: Chasing Wishes and Dreams
- Habs Consegue Sua Primeira Vitória
- Up Close with Brandy Saturley: Red, White and Dryden
- Prendre le Flambeau: Collberg embraye
- The Good, the Bad and the Season Opener
- Up Close with Josh Gorges: A Respected, Dedicated Leader
- P.K. Subban ne mérite pas moins de 4 millions
- Catching the Torch: Collberg is Clutch
- Carey Price is Groin to be Alright
- Help Publish: Montreal Canadiens – Stanley Cup Champions
(Feature Photo: John Morstad)