All Habs Headlines: Monday September 15, 2014
On this day in hockey history… 1960 – At the age of 39, Maurice “The Rocket” Richard announced his retirement as a player having played 18 season in the NHL and tallying 544 regular season goals. Richard was a member of eight Stanley Cup winning teams.
|All Habs Headlines|
All Habs Headlines is the ideal way to stay abreast of all the information you need to know.
► Habs Rookie Camp Scrimmage 1: Team White wins 3-2
- The first Team White vs. Team Red rookie scrimmage was played on Sunday. There were no standouts although Jiri Sekac, Jacob De La Rose and Sven Andrighetto each had shifts where they looked good.
- Team White goal scorers: Mike McCarron, Charles-David Beaudoin, Tim Bozon. Team Red goals: Jeremy Gregoire, Sven Andrighetto.
- Team White goalies Mike Condon (Shots Against: 8 Saves: 7), Jordan Papirny (SA: 15, S: 14). Team Red goalies: Zach Fucale (SA: 16 S:15), Hayden Hawkey (SA:18, S:16)
- With his play Sekac reminded everyone that he has played at a higher level than most other players on the ice. De la Rose is very good at creating turnovers and protecting the puck.
- Nikita Scherbak did not play as he was suffering with the flu. Scherbak also missed practise on Saturday.
► Habs Rookie Camp Scrimmage 2: Team White – Team Red tie 1-1
- Monday morning’s second rookie scrimmage was a far more physical and defensive affair. Scoring chances were few and far between.
- Christian Thomas opened the scoring for Team Red converting a nice setup from Sven Andrighetto. Matt Schmalz tied the score with two minutes remaining in the second and final period.
- The line of Jacob de la Rose, Christian Thomas and Sven Andrighetto was the best of this game.
- Team White goalies Mike Condon (Shots Against: 10 Saves: 9), Jordan Papirny (SA: 12, S: 12). Team Red goalies: Zach Fucale (SA: 6 S:6), Hayden Hawkey (SA:5, S:4)
- Nikita Scherbak and Jiri Sekac did not play.
► Long time no ‘C’?
- The Canadiens have elected to go without a captain for the 2014-15 season. Andrei Markov, Tomas Plekanec, Max Pacioretty and P.K. Subban will serve as alternate captains.
- “We’ll start with P.K. at home, Max on the road and the other two guys will [wear letters] every game.”– Marc Bergevin
- Everyone on all sides of the media/player/management divide acknowledged that Carey Price is a/the leader on this team. Coach Michel Therrien said that, if allowed, his franchise goaltender would wear a letter. Therrien said that Price will be included in meetings with his alternates.
► Speaking of captains, salt meet wound.
- With the departure of Rangers captain Ryan Callahan to Tampa Bay last season, all signs are pointing to the defenseman Ryan McDonagh being given the ‘C’.
- The expectation is that coach Alain Vigneault will make the announcement at a press conference on Thursday. For his part McDonagh said that he is ready to accept the responsibility.
► Tribute to Koivu
- Geoff Molson announced that the Canadiens will hold a tribute night to Saku Koivu on a date yet to be announced.
► Devils invite former Habs to camp
- Yahoo’s Greg Wyshynski reported that defenseman Tomas Kaberle and Mike Komisarek have both received professional tryout contracts from the New Jersey Devils.
Kaberle and Komisarek both get tryout deals with Devils. DeBoer going above and beyond to bury the kids on D this season.
— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) September 15, 2014
|What’s new at All Habs Hockey Magazine and Hockey Pub:|
|All Habs Hockey MagazineHockey Pub||Catch up on any of our stimulating, original content that you may have missed. Select below:Habs Rookie Camp: Notes from First Scrimmage
Follow @All_Habs on Twitter