All Habs Headlines: Thursday June 5, 2014
On this day in hockey history… In 1963, the NHL held its first amateur draft at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal. Twenty-one players were selected. Montreal chose first and selected Garry Monahan.
|All Habs Headlines by Dante A|
► Habs Assistant Coach Gerard Gallant interviewed for Florida Panthers vacant head coaching position
- Gerard Gallant was interviewed for the Panther’s head coaching position and has emerged as the front-runner for the job.
- Pierre McGuire on TSN 690’s ‘Melnick in the Afternoon’ reported that Gallant’s interview went extremely well.
- Other candidates for the position include former Leafs Head Coach Ron Wilson, who was fired by the Leafs in 2012 and Red Wings assistant coach Bill Peters.
► Prospect Magnus Nygren may be coming to North America
Magnus Nygren had been playing with Färjestad of the SHL after a difficult 16-game stint with the Hamilton Bulldogs where he was displeased with the city of Hamilton and some aspects of the club emphasizing that he will only come to North America to play in the NHL.
- The Canadiens are encouraging Nygren, through his agent, to come to Canada in the Fall to compete for a roster spot. With Andrei Markov, Mike Weaver, Francis Bouillon and Douglas Murray becoming unrestricted free agents as of July1st there could be spots open. But Jarred Tinordi, Greg Pateryn and Nathan Beaulieu will also be competing for a full-time roster position. The Canadiens will make no guarantees that Nygren won’t end up in Hamilton.
► Canadiens set dates for development camp
- According to Hockey Le Magazine, the Montreal Canadiens development camp will be July 6th-11th at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard.
- Expect some of the Habs top prospects like World Junior standout Jacob De la Rose and Baie-Comeau’s Jérémy Grégoire among others.
► Prospect Tim Bozon skates for the first time since coma
- Canadiens prospect Tim Bozon was placed into a medically-induced coma earlier this year to help doctors battle his life-theatening case of bacterial meningitis.
- Today, Bozon hit the ice for the first time in two months and posted a photo on Twitter.
— Tim Bozon (@timbozon94) June 5, 2014
► Former Habs finding new jobs
- Former Canadiens Head Coach Jacques Martin is being interviewed for Carolina’s vacant head coaching position after Carolina fired former Canadiens assistant coach and captain, Kirk Muller (now an assistant in St. Louis.)
- Fourth generation Canadien Blake Geoffrion accepted an executive recruitment firm position with Chicago. His career ended with a depressed skull as result of a huge hit from former Canadien Jean-Philippe Côté while with the Hamilton Bulldogs during the lockout season in 2012.
- Former Canadiens interim Head Coach Randy Cunneyworth, who replaced Martin when he got fired, could be returning to coaching as he is being considered for the OHL’s Ottawa 67’s head coaching position.
What’s new at All Habs Hockey Magazine and Hockey Pub: All Habs Hockey Magazine Hockey Pub Habs Fans Are Everywhere, Even South of the BorderHabs Looking For InspirationHow About a Little Respect for Habs Coach Therrien?
Follow @All_Habs and @habs329 on Twitter